When it comes to living a gratitude-filled life, most of us know that we should try to take time to notice the little things and feel grateful every day.
But how often do we actually do it? To help out, I’m going to list 150 things I’m grateful for right now.
Let’s take a look at some example gratitude lists, why you should write them and how to get started!
What is a Gratitude List?
A thankfulness list is simply a list of experiences or moments that you appreciate.
Writing a thankful or grateful list is taking the time to notice the little things, or the big things, that make our life beautiful.
Our world is an amazing and awe-inspiring place, you can’t help but feel grateful.
Gratitude is defined as:
The quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindnessOxford Dictionary
Why Write a Gratitude List?
The practice of gratitude can be a powerful tool to attract positive energy and to manifest good things in your life.
One of the most popular approaches is to write down a daily list as a simple way to express gratitude.
The benefits of gratitude can impact your whole life, as it changes your mindset, attitude, and outlook. When we go out into our day expecting the best, and already thankful for what we have received and achieved, there is nothing to stop us from receiving whatever else blessings and opportunities could be coming our way.
One of the best ways to get over the negative self-talk and live the life you deserve is to create a list of all the things you’re grateful for. Including things that you appreciate, like and love about your own self.
These lists make us feel more positive and inspired to achieve what we want.
What should I put on my Gratitude List?
Anything that makes you smile, brightens your morning or night, and makes your day a little better.
Check out our gratitude list examples below to give you an idea, and then expand it for yourself.
Most people are grateful for a safe place to live, a healthy body, a family, a child or relationship and the wonder and beauty of our world
When should I write in my Gratitude journal?
We all go through difficult times, and when you’re having a tough time it’s even more important to give yourself space to notice the good things as well as the challenges.
Whether you write your gratitude list first thing in the morning, or at the end of the day does not matter at all. The key is just to notice the small things, appreciate the beautiful things, and celebrate the positive things even during times that suck.
And it doesn’t have to be a daily gratitude list, if you are going through it and time is tight, taking a second to compose a gratitude log mentally, without even needing to write it down, is a powerful way to keep pushing on through the hard times.
150 Things to be Grateful for. Example Gratitude List
If you think about all the great things in life, you’ll probably have a list way longer than 150 items. That’s the great thing about writing a list like this, once you start noticing the little things and taking the time to appreciate them, you’ll just keep going. Before long it will be a daily habit, and a part of the way we see and experience the world all the time.
Here’s a sample list of things to be grateful for, listed in bullet points below.
You can also combine this list with some affirmations. The gratitude list can be written in affirmation format and style if you prefer…
I am grateful for the gift of fresh air
I am grateful for the gift of music…
And so on.
- Fresh Air
- A Soft Bed
- The ability to travel
- Deep conversations
- Opportunities for learning
- Favorite TV Shows
- The ability to read
- Beautiful sunsets
- Older family members, who are still with us or gone
- Good Health
- Positive emotions
- A safe space to cry and release emotions
- Anger – our anger let’s us know when something is wrong, and can be a positive thing to push us towards change.
- My body
- Cell Phones that make it so easy for us to connect with loved ones
- People to trust
- Money in your bank account
- Food to eat
- The amazing capacity of our brains
- Our intuition
- New Ideas
- The ability to grow and learn from mistakes
- Clean Water
- Your own unique personality
- Your unique face and it’s beauty
- Soul mates
- Supportive encouraging friends
- The ability to exercise
- A moment of calm and creativity
- Empty space
- The chance to try something new
- Space to make mistakes
- A fresh new notebook
- Date nights
- Amenities we have like running water, washing machine, vacuum cleaner to make our life easier
- Access to education
- Cameras to preserve our memories
- Games and the opportunity to be playful
- Clothes that make us feel good
- Immune system
- Eye sight
- A Good weather forecast
- Good hair day
- Beautiful flowers
- Bird song
- Sense of smell, to enjoy beautiful scents from delicious food to a new perfume
- The ability to help someone else
- The ability to chose how to spend your time
- The ability to laugh at yourself
- A lock on your front door
- Beautiful words
- Languages of the world
- The ability to connect with other people and build relationships
- Seeing a baby grow into a child and into an adult
- Family traditions
- Favorite recipes
- The ocean
- All of the colors of nature
- Baby lambs in Spring Time
- The way the leaves change in the fall
- Thoughtful gifts
- Seeing friends and family happy
- Access to the internet and information
- The ability to drive
- Feeling productive
- Your favorite song
- Personal growth
- A good night’s sleep
- Making positive changes
- Being able to enjoy your own company
- Freedom of religion
- The ability to let go
- Newborn babies
- Experiencing something new for the first time
- Inside jokes with best friends
- Hearing an interesting fact
- Movie nights
- Finding the perfect parking spot
- Blue skies
- Swimming pools
- The accomplishment of finishing a task
- The perfect selfie
- Time for self care
- Feminism and those who fight for equal rights
- New crayons and a moment of peace to color inspirational quotes
- The satisfaction of decluttering
- A long hot bath
- Completing a puzzle
- Celebrating love at a wedding
- Delicious breakfast
- New shoes
- A new tattoo
- Getting nails done
- People who help us when we need it
- Random acts of kindness
- Scenic drives
- Christmas lights
- Genuine compliments
- Winning a giveaway
- Finding unexpected money in your pocket or purse
- Farmer’s Markets
- Hot chocolate and marshmallows
- To love and be loved
List of Gratitude Words
These words are great to reflect upon, or use in meditation.
- Shukr (this is an Arabic word)
A to Z Gratitude List
Running through the alphabet is always a fun way to write a list and can get you thinking outside the box. We all have so many things to be grateful in life, despite our hardships, challenges and difficulties.
So get ready to start at A, and run through to Z to find 26 moments of happiness in your day.
If you’re a parent, this is also a fun way to introduce the concept of gratitude journaling and share it with your kids.
Here’s an example A to Z gratitude list
- Best Friends
- Environment of peace
- Fall leaves
- Ice cream
- Quiet, and peace
- Variety of fruits and vegetables
- Xoxo… hugs and kisses
- Zest for life
Things we take for granted – Add to your Gratitude List
Some of the things we complain about each day are actually something to be grateful for. If we flip the narrative, we can see things a little differently.
I complain about the mess in my house, but I am grateful and thankful for my beautiful home, the shelter and roof over our head, and for my children and husband despite the mess.
I would never swap the chaos and the clutter and the noise for a life of tidiness and silence, so it is all about perspective.
We complain about our jobs and getting to work, when it’s late and we are tired, or it’s early morning and we don’t want to get to our tasks but the ability to earn money and provide for ourselves is also a huge blessing.
Gratitude Quotes for a Thankful Heart
“Begin each day with a grateful heart”
“Always have an attitude of gratitude.”
“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”
“Gratitude is riches. Complain is poverty.”
“Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.”
“I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.”
Buy Printable Gratitude List Template
You can download a gorgeous watercolor blank gratitude list here on our site, to get started writing your own gratitude list right away.
Check out our printable gratitude list template here. It has space to write 150 items to get you started with your own gratitude journal.
You can also make your own if you prefer – just grab a blank notebook or paper, and pen or pencil and get started with your own thankful list.
Here’s a look at one of the pages of printable blank gratitude journal or gratitude list templates…
There are ten different designs included.
In addition to keeping you grounded, gratitude has been shown to positively influence your health, relationships, and career.
When you’re grateful, you find happiness in the little things and focus on what you’re grateful for instead of what you don’t have. This is a good habit to build into your daily routine so try writing a gratitude list and see if it helps you keep your emotions balanced, your perspective broadened, and your productivity improved.
We hope you founded our examples of gratitude lists helpful, and you’re ready to get started with writing your own!
Check out our free printable gratitude coloring page here, along with other one word inspirational coloring pages to use for mindfulness.
More Journaling Resources
You might find these journal prompts and free printables useful. Check them out, and share these blog posts with friends.
- Bullet Journal Dot Grid Paper Free Printable Pages
- Free Printable Journaling Word Search Pages for Mindfulness
- What is a Bullet Journal and How Does it Work? (Bullet Journals 101)
- 90+ Creative and Thought Provoking Journal Prompts for Mental Health
Please share this blog post with any friends and like minded people, or pin on Pinterest and go ahead and share some of your ideas for your own gratitude list with us here in the comments.